- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- zest of lemon or two
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (128g) AP flour
- Melt the butter. While it’s melting, mix eggs with both sugars for about five minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix more.
- Put the melted butter in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the batter that you just mixed to the butter.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Add this combination to the batter. Fold gently but definitely combine.
- Now take the butter that has the 1/2 cup of the batter and add that to the batter. You’re supposed to pour it in on the side of the bowl and add a bit at a time. No need to get too anxious about how much is added at once. Again, fold gently.
- Chill the batter. Now ideally this is done overnight but a few hours minimum should be OK too.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Take the Madeleine pan from the freezer, where it’s stored. Butter the pan. Put some flour atop the butter and bang the pan to distribute the flour.
- Put a bit more than a teaspoon in each slot at the round part of the mold.
- Bake about 10 minutes. You can sift powdered sugar atop.
Adapted from Joy of Baking