- 2 cups (256g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup (50g) Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 10 ½ oz fine quality bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- Beat together butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in standing mixer and 6 with handheld.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low, then add the flour mixture.
- Add melted chocolate (use double boiler)
- Form dough into a 14-inch log (2 inches in diameter) on a sheet of plastic wrap and roll up dough.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (up to 5 days).
- Cut 1/8 to 1/4 thick slices from log, roll the edges in sugar and place onto parchment paper about an inch apart.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 10.Bake cookies, switching positions half way, for 12-15 minutes.
- 11.Cool on sheets 3 minutes, then transfer to racks.
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine