Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 1 1/2- inch-high sides; dust with flour.
- Combine 2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; whisk to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup buttermilk, stirring with fork until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to cake pan; press gently to level top. Brush dough with 2 tablespoons buttermilk, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake biscuit until cooked through and golden on top, about 25 minutes. Cool biscuit in pan on rack (biscuit will be 1 to 1 1/2 inches high.)
Adapted from Epicurious’s Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake