- gruyere cheese
- 2 large red onions
- 1 yellow onion
- olive oil
1. Take a yellow onion, slice, put in a Le Creuset pot with some oil and salt. Sautee and then turn off the heat with the top on. Doesn’t need to get brown. Just very soft. Add water, about 4 inches worth. Let simmer for about 45 minutes.
3. Take two large red onions. Slice thin. Mix with salt and olive oil. Roast on 400 for about 40 minutes. Turn oven off and leave the onions in the oven about 40 minutes. Should shrivel and get very crispy.
4. Put cubes of bread in a pan. Add salt and olive oil. Roast for about 20 minutes. Can do so until edges are golden. Not essential to get that far.
5. Drain the broth into bowl for later and put the yellow onions in the oven and roast about 30 minutes.
6. Chop gruyere cheese into small cubes. In a nonstick pan combined croutons and cheese. Add to a bowl of the broth and both red and white onions.