- olive oil
- Beets are best when roasted, whole and unpeeled.
- Rinse the beets and put them in a small baking pan with ¼ inch of water and a sprinkling of salt.
- Cover the pan with foil and roast in a 450˚ oven until a knife meets very little resistance when slipped into the center of a beet, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, uncover, and set aside to cool. Slip the skins off the beets with your hands, cut them into slices or wedges, and dress with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt.
- (Some people like to wear rubber gloves when peeling red beets, though to me pink fingers are a small price to pay for being able to feel the food I’m cooking.)
- Eat them warm or refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve with plain yogurt, salt, and olive oil. Balsamic vinegar optional.
Adapted from J Kenji Lopez Alt